Contractors School has assisted over ten thousand people to receive
and maintain their Utah Contractors License in the past 20 years. 

Utah Contractor's One Stop Shop For Licensing and Exam Education

Passing the contractors exam and obtaining a Utah contractor's license is just the beginning of our success formula. Our contractor's exam school also offers business liability insuranceworker's compensation insuranceunemployment insurancesurety bondsvehicle and equipment insurancepayroll serviceshuman resource administration and turn-key marketing services to promote your business.
All of our licensed contractor school services are designed to keep your business protected, strong, and growing. We are the only one-stop licensed contractor school of its kind!

For more information on obtaining your Utah contractor license, call us at 801.467.1900. If you're interested in becoming a contractor in Utah, get your contractor license now!


Start Your Contractor Licensing Today!

Get Licensed

How to Obtain a Contractor's License in Utah


Trade Exams for a Utah State Contractor's License - Call 801.467.1900

Q: What is a general contractor? 

A: A general contractor is responsible for the overall coordination of a project. They are responsible for providing all of the material, labor, equipment, and services necessary for the construction project.

Q: Why does the State of Utah require that I obtain a Utah Contractor's License for plumbing, electrical, or inspecting? 

A: The Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing (D.O.P.L.) is the state agency that controls and regulates state licensing. D.O.P.L. requires a Utah Contractor's License for electricians, plumbers, inspectors and all other licensed occupations to protect the general public from fraud, misrepresentation, and safety issues for a Utah contractor's license.

Q: Which Utah contractor's license classifications should I apply for? 

A: There are over 50 Utah contractor's license classifications you may apply for. You need to decide which classification is right for you depending on what you have at least 2 years of W-2'ed experience in. Give us a call and we can help you determine which Utah contractor license is best suited to your experience.

Q: What are the experience requirements for each Utah contractor license, according to the Utah Contractor's Board? 

A: E100-General Engineering, B100-General Building, R100-Residential & Small Commercial Building:

    A minimum of 2 years full-time experience working for a licensed contractor is required, one of which needs to be in a supervisory or management position.

S220-Carpentry, S280-Roofing, S290-Masonry, S320-Steel Erection, S350-HVAC, S360-Refrigeration, S370-Fire Suppression Systems:

    A minimum of two years of full-time experience is required.

The experience must be verified on the Affidavit of Experience form provided by D.O.P.L. with an employer's signature.

Upgrade Your Contractor's License!

Recent changes in licensing rules are something to get excited about. All existing contractors are now able to upgrade their current license to any license classification, excluding electrical and plumbing. That's right, generals are included; however, passing the necessary trade exams are still required. This licensing rule change may not be permanent, take advantage of the opportunity while it lasts. NOW is the time to upgrade!

Contact a Contractor's School Licensing Specialist to get started!

Our turn-key contractor licensing and exam services have helped over 6,000 contractors obtain their Utah contractor licenses quickly and easily. You could be next!

TOP Questions? Call 801-467-1900