Servicio en Español

Frequently Asked Questions

License Requirements

Work experience is required for certain contractor's licenses in Utah, including the General Contractor, Engineering, Plumbing, and Electrical licenses. However, other license classifications may have different requirements. The state of Utah now allows self-certification of work experience on license applications, streamlining the process for applicants. 


Proof of work experience may be requested by the state, and acceptable documentation includes W-2 forms, K-1 forms, 1099 forms, and experience gained under a Handyman license. Understanding these requirements ensures compliance and smooth processing of your contractor's license application in Utah. 


Our team can provide personalized guidance on the specific experience requirements for your desired license classification. Contact us to learn more about the experience requirements for obtaining a contractor's license in Utah.

The cost of obtaining a contractor's license in Utah varies depending on individual circumstances and requirements. We offer personalized estimates tailored to your specific situation, as costs can differ based on factors such as license classification, experience level, and application processing fees. 

Contact us for a detailed assessment and estimate for your contractor licensing needs.

With over 15 Utah contractor's license classifications available, selecting the appropriate one depends on your specific expertise and experience. It's essential to consider the type of work you have at least 2 years of W-2'ed experience in. 


Our team can assist you in determining the most suitable Utah contractor's license based on your experience and skill set. Contact us today for personalized guidance through Utah's contractor licensing process.

Yes, a valid social security number is required, along with any necessary Work Authorization card, to obtain a contractor's license in Utah.

The state of Utah mandates contractor licensing through the Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing (DOPL). This requirement applies to various occupations, including electricians and plumbers, aiming to safeguard the public from potential fraud, misrepresentation, and safety hazards associated with contracting work. Obtaining a Utah contractor's license ensures compliance with state regulations and promotes accountability and professionalism within the industry.

Yes, you can appoint a qualifier for your contractor's license in Utah, provided that individual meets certain criteria. The qualifier must have a minimum ownership stake of 20% in the company or be employed as a W-2 employee. Additionally, the qualifier must fulfill all licensing requirements set forth by the state. 

Our team can assist you in understanding and meeting the qualifications for a qualified individual to serve as your license qualifier. Contact us for personalized guidance on this aspect of contractor licensing in Utah.

If you obtained your subcontracting license before May 9, 2017, you took the business and law exam as part of the licensing process. We can assist you in smoothly upgrading your subcontracting license to a general contracting license. If your subcontracting license was obtained after May 9, 2017, we can guide you through the business and law exam requirements and then facilitate the upgrade to a general contractor license. 

Our team is here to lead you through the process and ensure compliance with Utah contracting regulations. Contact us today to begin the upgrade process for your contractor's license in Utah.

Frequently Asked Questions

Qualifications and Procedures

There isn't a fixed sequence of steps, but it's essential to ensure all necessary requirements are met before submitting your license application. Your Contractor School licensing specialist will provide personalized guidance to help you navigate the process smoothly. 

The first step is to initiate payment, then our team will assist every step of the way and ensure that you have a seamless experience. Contact us to get started.

Yes, it is mandatory to have general liability insurance for your company before the state will issue you a contractor's license in Utah. Having an active general liability insurance policy is a prerequisite for obtaining a contractor license, ensuring financial protection for your business and compliance with state regulations. 


Our team can provide guidance on securing the necessary insurance coverage to meet the licensing requirements for contractors in Utah. Contact us for assistance with understanding and fulfilling the insurance obligations for contractor licensing in Utah.

Yes, the state of Utah accepts work experience from any time frame, provided you were working for a licensed contractor. Your relevant work experience plays a crucial role in meeting the eligibility requirements for obtaining a general contracting license.

While providing a 1099 form may indicate your involvement in construction-related work, doing so will also prove that you were working without a license, leading to significant consequences. In Utah, operating without a proper license can result in fines of up to $1,000 per day for each day of unlicensed work, as determined by the state. 


It's imperative to adhere to licensing regulations and ensure proper documentation to avoid legal penalties. For comprehensive guidance on meeting licensing requirements and demonstrating relevant experience, reach out to our team for expert assistance.

We understand that financial constraints arise, so we offer flexible payment options to accommodate your situation and facilitate the acquisition of your license. Our pay-as-you-go approach allows you to make payments gradually, ensuring that you can obtain your license without undue financial strain. 

Rest assured that we have assisted numerous individuals in obtaining their contractor's license through tailored payment arrangements. Contact us to explore payment options.

Yes, the state of Utah accepts 25-hour certificates obtained from any time frame, provided you can provide a valid copy of the certificate from a state-approved provider. Your certificate will remain valid and can be utilized as part of the requirements for obtaining a contractor's license. 

No, it is not permitted to use another person's contractor's license for contracting work in Utah. According to Utah contracting regulations, the contractor's license must be registered under your company name to legally perform contracting work. If you are working under another contractor, you must operate as a subcontractor under their license. 


Our team can lead you through contractor licensing requirements in Utah to ensure compliance and legality in your contracting activities. Contact us for assistance with understanding and fulfilling the licensing obligations for Utah contractors.

Yes, you are required to maintain an active insurance policy on your company both to obtain and to keep your contractor's license active. Despite potential delays in obtaining the license, continuous coverage is crucial to maintain compliance with the state.

Yes, you have the option to access the application form directly from the DOPL website. However, it's easy to miss something or fill something out wrong. Mistakes like these can slow down getting your license and end up costing you more. We suggest letting our team handle the paperwork while you focus on getting the rest of your business ready to go.


If you’d instead like us to navigate the application process and potential pitfalls for you, contact us. We’re happy to help.