Servicio en Español

Tennessee Contractor License Renewal

Certified CE Courses through our partner, 
the Flynn’s quickED! Enroll today!

Tennessee Continuing Education Requirements

For all contractors in the state of Tennessee and any other state in the US, understanding both licensure and continuing education requirements is important. Failure to do so will keep you outside compliance, resulting in possible fines and even the potential loss of your license altogether.

At Contractors School, we’re happy to assist contractors throughout Tennessee with all their continuing education needs, including a simple understanding of what’s required of them in this area. Here’s a basic rundown with everything you need to know about these general requirements.

Not Sure Which License You Have Or Need?
Why Choose Contractors School?

Types of Tennessee Contractors

The state of Tennessee classifies residential contractors in these primary ways, though there are certain possible specialty or combination designations as well:

  • BC-A (Residential): These are residential building contractors whose services are limited to construction, remodeling, repair or improvement of up to four family unit residences no taller than three stories in height.
  • BC-A/r (Limited Residential): In lieu of the residential building trade exam, contractors can take an approved course from a state community college and obtain the BC-A/r classification. Such contractors are authorized to bid on any contract for construction, remodel, repair or improvement of a single family dwelling, with a monetary limit assigned of no greater than $125,000. This license is somewhat restricted.
  • BC-B (Commercial): This license allows a contractor to bid on structures that are occupied by the general public, including residential construction with more than four units or greater than three stories in height.
  • BC-b(sm) (Small Commercial): This contractor is similar to the Commercial license, but with a total cost limit of $1,500,000.
  • BC-C (Industrial): Contractors under this classification can bid on contractors for buildings and structures used in industrial productions and services.

Residential Continuing Education Requirements

Tennessee bases its continuing education requirements for contractors on the issue month. Of the contractor types, only BC-A Residential, BC-A/r, Spec Homebuilders, or BC-A,b(sm) contractors are required to complete continuing education. Starting in 2022, any of these licenses that were issued after January 1, 2009 must complete eight hours of RCE (the term used by the state for these hours). These must be completed 30 days prior to their expiration date.

For this RCE, the Qualifying Agent (QA) designated on the contractor’s license is the only one who may obtain the hours. The QA is the person who passed the residential trade exam – if more than one person passed this exam only one of them is required to obtain proper RCE.

Requirements for Commercial Contractors

Those with BC-B, BC-b and BC-C classifications, on the other hand, do not require continuing education hours for license renewal. The exception here: If someone with a BC-B or BC-b classification also has a residential classification such as BC-A as part of their license (this may be present in the BC-A,b(sm) combination). In this case, this contractor will have to follow the same rules as all other Residential Contractors, which we went over above.

For more on the continuing education hours and programs that are required in the state of Tennessee for various residential and commercial contractors, or for assistance with any part of obtaining your continuing education, contact the pros at Contractors School today.